Domestic phones

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 4 phones working perfectly alright. 2 days ago I pulled out one phone connection (upstairs) from socket to prevent disturbance of siesta following bad migrane. On reconnection all the phones went dead.

Reported to BT who confirms via a now-working phone, saying that their line was ok and to open the master socket and plug in a non-cordless phone in the test port inside the master socket, to check whether their line was ok. But there was no such testing ports(downstairs) to connect inside. I put the cover back and when tested, all the phones were dead.

I have reported this to BT as the phones are still dead.
It appears that whenever a phone is disconnected the phones go dead. Nevertheless the broadband is working. Any ideas why this may be so, please? :cry:

Sponsored Links
BT are responsible for the line up to the master socket - the stuff inside your house is sadly your problem.

How old are the sockets? Have you checked the connections inside?

What happens if you disconnect all your phones except for one known good one? It's possible one is faulty.

Sponsored Links
Apparently, BT say that Broadband can still function, despite the phone side of things being down.

You really need to trace all extension wiring, disconnect so only the incoming cable is connected to a socket outlet, then see if it works. If not phone BT back and put the ball in their court.

Broadband works at a high frequency, and can work through high-res joints, small open ccts etc. It is also split in the exchange into DSL & VOICE, and these are on seperate cables to seperate areas of the exchange.

Hi

Certain lines have a REN limit. If all your telephones exceed a REN valve of 4 or one telephone is causing a problem the you may be exceeding the REN value which will cause various problems. Disconnect all telephones as request by BT then one by one check the sockets using a known working telephone.

I'm not 100% sure this is the answer but it may be the reason for your intermittent failures

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back