Don't Know where to Start!!!! 5 bed detached house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've just bought a 5 bed detached house. Externally it needs no work doing.
But internally EVERYTHING needs doing!!!! and I mean everything.
It has no gas installed and currently everything is electric so basically I have to arrange for gas to be connected to the property (luckily there is a gas supply in the street).

After that, It needs a new heating system, The whole house probably needs rewiring (electrical).

Basically, I just don't know where to start.

I have had a couple of people round to see it and they've said first thing to do is to totally gut it as it remove all the carpets/wallpapers fixtures/fittings etc then call people round.

The thing is Who should i be calling round and at what stage.
I've been told theres 3 stages First Fix, Second Fix and Third Fix
and you call the electrician/heating engineers at different phases ???

If anyones done this type of project any ideas/recommendations steps you've carried out things to avoid etc. will be grateful.

I know I can contract it all out but money is a bit of an issue and I would like to know whats going on at the same time so I get some experience.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
As this is more of a query, you're better off in the Building forum. Ask the mods to move it for you.

3rd fix :confused: screwfix :idea: . All seems too vague to answer . It might be full of dry rot and deathwatch beetle for a start

Start with a schedule of works. Sort jobs into connected groups. i.e. for a floor you can't lay floorboards before floor joists. Sort everything into preferred order. i.e. it would be best to finish the roof covering before you start painting and decorating.

Sponsored Links
Hi,
I've just bought a 5 bed detached house. Externally it needs no work doing.
But internally EVERYTHING needs doing!!!! and I mean everything.
It has no gas installed and currently everything is electric so basically I have to arrange for gas to be connected to the property (luckily there is a gas supply in the street).

After that, It needs a new heating system, The whole house probably needs rewiring (electrical).

Basically, I just don't know where to start.

I have had a couple of people round to see it and they've said first thing to do is to totally gut it as it remove all the carpets/wallpapers fixtures/fittings etc then call people round.

The thing is Who should i be calling round and at what stage.
I've been told theres 3 stages First Fix, Second Fix and Third Fix
and you call the electrician/heating engineers at different phases ???

If anyones done this type of project any ideas/recommendations steps you've carried out things to avoid etc. will be grateful.

I know I can contract it all out but money is a bit of an issue and I would like to know whats going on at the same time so I get some experience.

Thanks

A bit of a all-encompassing question. There are some good books on house renovation. How much you strip if back can depend on who is doing the work. If all contractors you want to minimise their time by having things as clear as possible.
If lots of DIY, you want to reduce the need for contractors, so it may be better to preserve plaster where it is OK or can just be stabilised etc.
The first / second fix thing is really just before or after plastering, i.e. first fix wiring and pipes are exposed etc.
Tradesmen would come to site twice (e.g. lay cables, later come back to fit sockets etc), thus the 2 fixes.
Not heard of 3rd fix - is that from the UK ? Could be final finishing and decorating ?

Its really common sense. The work is done in an order so that everything is accessible when needed.

Also, sometimes for DIY its a good idea to complete rooms one at a time (with some planning) so that the job is more manageable (or seems like it is ;)

Simon

To get a gas supply bear in mind National Grid charge around £600 for a connection up to the meter box.... (They do fit that as part of the price though!)

Can be 2-3 month wait for the work to be done so worth scheduling in early, especially if you want to be warm for winter!

Is this to be a renovation/refit done in the shortest possible time before you move in or is it to be an ongoing DIY type project subject to availability of funds while your living in the property.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back