Door casing height

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Today I've started building the stud walls in our new extension, currently the floor is just the bare concrete.

The door casing I've bought is 2010mm tall, the door I've got to fit in it is 1960mm, I'll be cutting the casing down to suit but wondered how much I need to leave for the height of the floor finish, the part I'm currently working on is a downstairs bathroom, it will have vinyl in it, outside the bathroom will likely be laminate, these will both meet at the door threshold.

I was thinking of cutting the casing down to 1980mm that would leave 5mm above the door and then 15mm for laminate and underlay, does that sound enough, if it turns out to be too tight I could always plane the door.

Thanks
Chris

Sponsored Links
as an aside if its a bath/shower room you leave a 12mm gap under the door above the finished floor covering to allow warm air from the house to enter the room to replace the extracted air when the fan is on
so assuming you finnished floor will be 12mm then a 12mm gap then 2-3mm at the door top is 1960+12+12+2=1987

That would be leaving it at 2010mm then but surely the final floor finish isn't going to take up 35mm? (doors 1960mm, air gap 12mm, 5mm gap at top of frame)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back