Door entry system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

A friend has asked me to install a door entry system for her three flats. I've not done one before, but feel ready to tackle it. It will just be a voice/intercom ie no door opener.

I've searched the forum, but nothing came up.

My question is - I will be using multicore telephone cable -12 core (6 pair)has been suggested. However, do I have to run this to a central point, then split it to run to each flat from that point, or does it 'loop' from flat to flat?

If it's the former, what do you use to split it? Presumably the 12 core can be used to run from the split point to each flat, but not all the cores will be used.

I'm thinking of using a Tate Door Entry kit - nothing fancy. Are they any good?

Any other tips that you think would help me? :idea:

Thanks in advance

SB

Sponsored Links
depends on what type you get

the type we work with (cant remember the make/model of it) had a central unit. there was then a 4core cable to each room, and a 6 core cable to the doorway. 2 were for the door release and the other 4 for the voice part

havent worked with door entry much, so i cant really say whats better than others/what to avoid

Tate will give you problems in the long run, use something like Videx or Fermax.
If it is only 3 flats then it would be easyier to run all cables to the panel, then it is not to hard to add a release in the future

Vince

vince knight said:
Tate will give you problems in the long run, use something like Videx or Fermax.
If it is only 3 flats then it would be easyier to run all cables to the panel, then it is not to hard to add a release in the future

Vince

I agree on these, but if you wanna go cheap and cheerful then you could go for Bell, most of the time you daisychain the handsets.

Your best bet is to deicide what kit you want, then see how it wires up, sometimes the instructions seem a lot more complicated than they are!

You can use alarm cable for it too, the cores dont break as easily, just depends on distances and voltage loss, most kits only need 6 core too.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick replies everyone!

The budget I'm afraid is very tight - looking at max £60-70 (including VAT) for the intercom system, so I think Tate it will have to be. Bell seems to be about £100 plus VAT - unless you can point me somewhere cheaper!

I've checked out the spec and wiring diagram for the Tate Espace with Pulsar (3 way). It uses 6 core cable, which is then 'tapped off' - 5 cores to each entry phone. Vince what you are suggesting is to run 3 x 6 core cables ie direct from the door panel to each of the phones (so no 'tapping' off). The 5th core I won't be using at the moment as is it for the door release.

Using 6 core alarm cable will also help keep costs down as it is cheaper than 12 core telephone cable - top tip!

Thanks again - I'll let you know how I get on ;)

SB

sparkybird said:
Thanks for the quick replies everyone!

The budget I'm afraid is very tight - looking at max £60-70 (including VAT) for the intercom system, so I think Tate it will have to be. Bell seems to be about £100 plus VAT - unless you can point me somewhere cheaper!

I've checked out the spec and wiring diagram for the Tate Espace with Pulsar (3 way). It uses 6 core cable, which is then 'tapped off' - 5 cores to each entry phone. Vince what you are suggesting is to run 3 x 6 core cables ie direct from the door panel to each of the phones (so no 'tapping' off). The 5th core I won't be using at the moment as is it for the door release.

Using 6 core alarm cable will also help keep costs down as it is cheaper than 12 core telephone cable - top tip!

Thanks again - I'll let you know how I get on ;)

SB

careful with alarm on the terminals tho. if there IDC type, you should get 3 pair phone cable. alarm cable doesnt go into IDC too good. but if there screw terminals, pretty much any cable will go

Andy - good point! I'll get telephone cable to be on the safe side.

Thanks

SB

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back