door entry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i live in top floor flat with 1 other flat using the same entrance. we have yale and mortice lock. i would like to fit an audio door release system for mme and my neighbour . any advice on what system, can i installl myself do we need to take out standard yale and juust use mortiice? the run for my phone to door is approx 40 m incase a problem
cheers jon

Sponsored Links
Most systems are designed to just have the door release on the Yale lock so the mortice would have to be left undone when the system was in use. You can get all sorts of systems, most are fairly basic and would only require a Cat5 (or similar) cable run from each point back to the control unit which then requires a 230V feed. Make sure your door release is on a fail lock setup so in the event of a power cut the door would remain locked (rather then a fail release system which would leave the door open in a power cut scenario). Either that or install a system with battery backup so the lock will still operate in a power out. This is the sort of system i've installed previously, i had no prior experience but it worked first time.

Check with your insurance company before spending money. You may find they will increase the premium as the entrance to the building is now less secure.

Insurance companies worry that while you and your neighbour(s) are now good neighbours things change and a new neighbour may just let anyone into the area outside your door which I assume is out of public view.

If you don't tell the insurance company about the remote release and then make a claim for burglary they may refuse the claim or pay less than the full compensation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back