door frame not straight - best practice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to fit double louvred (is that the right spelling) doors on a built in cupboard. The door frame is actually a standard size door frame.

On the left side the frame seems pretty straight, but on the right side it bows outwards in the middle. Not by a huge amount - approx 5mm.

How do I attack this. If it was bowing in at the middle I could take 5mm off the frame, but I'd struggle to take 5mm off the top and bottom.

I therefore am thinking I just leave frame as it is and try to make the door follow the wonky frame.

Is that best practice?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is it not possible to pack out the center of the frame? If not then plane the doors to fit the frame and leave an even gap all around and it won't be noticable. You may need to sink the hinges in slightly more at one end to prevent binding , the hinge pins should be in the same "line" if one is angled one way and the other angled the other way you'll be trying to bend them every time you open the door.

Thanks, that makes sense.
I did think about trying to manipulate the frame, but the architrave is on now and I think I'd just do more damage than it's worth.

Not at all, simply prize off the architrave, pack out the frame and repin the archs. At most a quick once over with a lick off paint and it's done, better long term too as if you ever replace the doors again every thing is nice and straight.

Sponsored Links
If the straight edge is the hinged side it should not be a problem to plane to fit the curve.

OK, I'll see but I am pretty sure the archetrave has been glued rather than nailed (both actually) - wont it just rip the plaster off?

Planing - I'd need to plan the top and bottom, not the middle. Middle would be easy obviously.
As for hinge side it is going to be 2 small doors, so both sides are hinged.

Cheers

OK, I'll see but I am pretty sure the archetrave has been glued rather than nailed (both actually) - wont it just rip the plaster off?
Sounds like a quality job! If a joiner/carpenter fitted it then it will be pinned or nailed, not glued. If not........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back