door linings and doors....advise please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

Sorryif this comes across as a silly question but we are trying to find a carpenter to fit 2 door linings ( we used to have metal frames that we took out ...stupidly ) and 2 doors plus some skirting board in our dining room which is approx 11ft by 7 ft.

Is this a pretty easy job for a carpenter ? We've been quoted £655 for the materials and labour.........does this seem right ?

We've had laminate flooring done and the company made a mess of it so we are nervous when it comes to paying people to do jobs these days!

What do we need to look for skills wise /ask about when hiring a carpenter ?

Hope someone can help!

We live near Southampton/Winchester

Sponsored Links
Very hard to say without more detail. If they are supplying linings, doors and skirting then it sounds to be likely pretty reasonable. BUT, without knowing what is being supplied it is hard to judge.

Handles, hinges, latches all add up also.

To me a lower end price for this job would be £450.00. This would be el cheapo end of the scale.

I understand your reticence after being stung/let down. Recommendation is always a preferred option.

Good luck!

Sponsored Links
I wish I had a cystal ball !

Thanks for your replies.

Yes they will be supplying everything that is needed for the door to be hung, door linings etc etc

Ideally a recommendation from a friend would be ideal but it was a case using Yell.com and google. This guy I actually found on a site called ' check trade ' and he does have a few good reviews etc but do I need to ask him about his qualifications or just trust he will do a good job and refuse to pay if he doesn't !

We did have another quote from a guy I found on ' my builder.com and he quoted via email £320 for labour and materials.

None of them have measured up or anything but based the quote on my room measurements.

Most here always advise to getting 3 quotes and asking for pictures or references from other work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back