Door Opening Width

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi Guys

i once again need your help.

im at the building regs stage of an up coming extension project.

this is the situation: the door on the left will be 1800 wide and the one on the right will be 3600. (sizes are dictated by current Wickes offer on folding sliding doors)

according to the Building Regs 2004 - 2C38:ii Quote "the width of a single opening or the combine width of 2 openings should not exceed 5m"

could someone please clarify whether or not this applies to residential buildings? i dont want BCO to tell me my doors are too big.

Joe

Sponsored Links
thanks Freddy, that's reassuring.

after re-reading that chapter i've found the part that says it only applies to single storey non-residential buildings and annexes.

Sponsored Links
Which part of the Building Reg's does it state that? I've never come across it before.

From a build point of view, the only thing I'd see governing the size of openings is the lintel/beam supporting the structure above.

Which part of the Building Reg's does it state that? I've never come across it before.

From a build point of view, the only thing I'd see governing the size of openings is the lintel/beam supporting the structure above.
Lateral wind resistance of the masonry panels is also a consideration.. but as far as door/window size goes ive never seen a restriction applied before.. but could be a local condition..

Lateral wind resistance of the masonry panels is also a consideration.. but as far as door/window size goes ive never seen a restriction applied before.. but could be a local condition..

Part A page 27 onwards. ;)

:p
There you answer the query, cant have more than 3m wide openings/recesses in between butresses..
"2. W1 + W2 + W3 should not exceed 3m" diagram 15...
Ever done an openning more than 3m FMT?

Course the regs like the pirate code are guidelines

Never given my openings much thought tbh. Never had them queried by BC either unless close to a corner.

Static, looks like you have got hold of one of the documents without the amendments corrected. Its diagram 14 and should read W1, W2 or W3 should not be more than 3m, its one of the known mistakes in that version.
Not that someone of your wisdom ever bothers with part A unless you need to prop a wobbly table :LOL: :LOL:

Static, looks like you have got hold of one of the documents without the amendments corrected. Its diagram 14 and should read W1, W2 or W3 should not be more than 3m, its one of the known mistakes in that version.
Not that someone of your wisdom ever bothers with part A unless you need to prop a wobbly table :LOL: :LOL:
Ah.. well guess i should download a new set.. *mutter*..

Either way like you say i design the masonry panels independant to building regs guidance.. and put in wind posts where needed..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back