door sticks after painting

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
The front door was painted (Dulux Trade Eggshell I think, might possibly have been satinwood). The frame has a phosphor-bronze draughtstrip, which is springy and is supposed to press against the edge of the door. The painter has also painted this, and it sticks quite badly. You have to put your knee against the door while turning the latch.

Any tips for improving this? I was thinking of talc or silicone grease on the strip but don't want to do anything that might soften the paint.

As the house is unoccupied the door is not being opened and closed much. It was done about three weeks ago.

Sponsored Links
He should'nt have painted the draughtstrip, you can apply a small amount of grease or vaseline, that should help.

Dec

OK, I will get some vaseline. It won't interfere with the paint drying and hardening, will it? I was hoping that with age it will get less inclined to stick.

I have a little plumber's silicone grease if that might be better.

I think not everyone is familiar with the phosphor-bronze strip, perhaps he didn't know any better :cry: it must have been there 50 years or more.

John

Providing the door has passed the touch dry stage, the application of small amount of either vaseline or a smear of grease will have no effect on the curing aint.

Dec

Sponsored Links
TheDec

Thanks, I did that and it worked fine

I think not everyone is familiar with the phosphor-bronze strip, perhaps he didn't know any better :cry: it must have been there 50 years or more.
Atomic strip - now known as proper copper ( thankyou google) :LOL:

no, this is definitely phosphor bronze. I found the roll my old dad had used at the back of a cupboard in the family house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back