Dormer Lead Valley Pointing - Should it be?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've just had a dormer put on the side of my 1930's semi. The ridge of the dormer is about 12" below the ridge of the original roof, the the new dormer roof slope is below the hipps (right term I think) of the original.
There is a lead valley from the dormer roof to the hipp ridge tiles. The ridge tiles have been mortar and pointed to the lead, but the dormer tiles have not been point where they over lap the lead.
Some dormers in the area are pointed, and some not. My question is should this have been pointed? If so I assume 3:1 mix, I'll be doing it myself as the roofers pointing wasn't the best!
Cheers

Sponsored Links
You do not necessarily need to bed the tiles in the valley as long as they are securely fixed, in fact the mortar can be the cause of future issues as it can draw water under the tiling / slating if not carried out well

Normally i would only bed the valley tiles in exposed locations for reasons given above.

Sponsored Links
Cheers for replies. I'm not sure whether I'd describe it as exposed or not, the front valley more so as thats where we get the majority of our wind/rain. The tiles seem pretty solid, but I'd double check.
I'll cross my fingers to make sure it's OK.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back