Dot and Dab? Tile fell off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So my tiler started on my bathroom today, he got all the tiles on, but needs to come back to grout on Sunday.

One tile has fallen off within 2hrs of him leaving for the day, thoughts?

The tiler is actually subcontracted by my plumber who is doing the bathroom fit who is back in on Monday to finish off fittings etc. Was he rushing? Or do these things just happen?

The tiles are on old plaster which in some places is painted, the tile fell off where it was painted.

See attached photo, showing pipes running along skirting and pink paint where tile has fallen off, Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_20150918_164210794.jpg
    IMG_20150918_164210794.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 1,478
Sponsored Links
You can't really dot and dab tiles like that, I have seen it done when I've been working in older houses through the years but it just isn't the right way to do it I'm afraid. The reason a tiling trowel is notched is so that the adhesive is combed through the tile/wall with a ridge like effect which creates air gaps between the adhesive and wall, which creates the strong adhesion to the wall/floor.

Long story short: it's an unconventional method, it can work in some instances but it isn't the correct method.

Hope his helps.

As above.

Take all the tiles off - all of them. And save yourself future grief.

The background has not been prepared.

The best tile adhesive is "thin set" - a cementitious powdered adhesive - it comes in bags. You appear to have mastic - out of a tub.

Is that background a solid wall or plasterboard?

Ree - Solid Wall, thin cavity wall, brick.

I went back in this morning to look at the tiles, luckly no more on the floor. Certainly several loose / hollow sounding / spongy corner tiles in the area photographed and one or two else where.

I contacted my plumber to pass the word to the tiler. I just matter of fact described that one had fallen off and that others looked loose to the plumber.

Thoughts on how to proceed next? I am fairly confident that the plumber is best placed to ensure that the tiler does good job, since I will not be paying the plumber, and the plumber cannot proceed with fitting if the tiles are like this.

Thanks

Chris

Attachments

• IMG_20150919_095900846.jpg
    IMG_20150919_095900846.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 586
Sponsored Links
If the garage put the wrong wheels on your car you would want them off & the job done properly.

All the tile can be re-used after scraping off the mastic.

The tile as such looks like a good job - but it wont stay on the wall_s).

Anyone that thinks you can use a notched trowel on a wonky wall has never done any tiling. Thinset? Mastic? Someone hasn't even got a clue.

Hi Joe,

Define wonky wall? Wall is brick cavity with plaster, reasonanly smooth but old, bits of paint in places. Never did put a level on it.

Must admit i didn't want to get into technique specifics with the tiler, I just want the tiles to stay attached for the next 10+ years and to look good.

So Joe, if the technique is not to blame, what was the issue, in your opinion?

Thanks

Chris

The wall wasn't prepped properly and the tile itself wicked out the water from the adhesive. If you use a notched trowel the wall must be absolutely flat (like a sheet of plasterboard) or the tile won't connect with the adhesive. That means you either get wonky tiles or no adhesion. If you are not prepared to spend a hundred quid flattening the wall then you have no choice but to use dot and dab. When done properly it will last fifty years. I took some off that were 45 years old just the other week. I don't know any pro tiler that doesn't use it for walls that are less than flat. You only have two choices. Dot and dab or re-plaster the whole wall.

Actually come to think of it that looks like vinyl silk paint which is an absolute pain to get anything to stick to. Best bet would be a bonding agent, and if possible skim. That stuffs a nightmare. I think it contains Teflon.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back