Double Dimmer Trouble

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm trying to replace an old double dimmer switch with a new one.

Problem is, I didn't observe how the old one was wired (doh!) so I'm not sure what to do.

I have two grey cables; each one contains a red wire, a black wire and an unsheathed copper earth-wire.

One cable comes from above, the other from below. I'm assuming the one above leads to the lights, the one below probably leads to the power source.

The earth wires are twisted together and sheathed with a green and yellow plastic tube.

My old dimmer switch was plastic and the switch didn't have an earth, so the twisted earth wire used to connect to the metal box in the wall.

The new switch is a metal one (with a brass finish), so I'm pretty sure the twisted earth wire should now connect to the earth terminal on the switch.

The dimmer units on the switch each have 3 terminals marked with L1, L2 and a wavy line with an arrow through it.

Can anyone assist?

Thanks
Pete

Sponsored Links
You are operating two light fittings of a double gang(2 switches) dimmer swicth is that correct?
If so the two sets of cables go as so.
Red to wavy line
Black to L1
on one side from one set of the cables
and repeat for the other.
Your earth cables do go to the earth terminal on the face plate and shold have a PVC yellow and Green sleeve put over them, it is also practised that an earth link is fitted between face plate and metal back box.
Link To lights,
It shows a single gang set up, replace the Common for the wavy line in the diagram for the dimmer, do this for both gangs(switches), if you scroll down will show the back of dimmer switch.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting:single_way_lighting

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back