double socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HAVE TWO DOUBLE SOCKETS IN MY KITCHEN,WISH TO PUT A PATRSS BOX ON THE WALL (LOOKS TIDIER) CABLE NOT LONG ENOUGH CAN I LENGTHEN THE CABLES WITH 30 AMP CONNECTORS AND NEW TAILS?

Sponsored Links
But seriously, this is a vexed topic, and if you search this forum you'll find a lot of arguments against the use of junction boxes (don't BTW, use choc-block for something permanent).

Can you not replace the cables?

But I'm very puzzled about what you are actually doing - you say a pattress on the wall looks tidier - tidier than what? A flush socket?

And if all you're doing is replacing one sort of box with another, why are the cables too short?

don't have flush sockets do you? i think they look better, and also a jb qill not fit.

and do stop shouting

Sponsored Links
To comply with regulations the connector strip would have to be in a non-combustible box. Any joint must be enclosed. :idea:

sorry about shouting the cables can not be pulled any further as they are set behind armoured trunking then plastered,

If you can't get more cable out I would say your only option is to set your new boxes above (or below, depending on which direction your cables come fom) the existing socket. But why go for surface mounted mounting boxes when people put blood (literally !!) and sweat into chiselling out nice neat holes so your sockets are nice n flush with the wall ?

If the cables are set into trunking then would you not be able to unfasten the cable at one end, tape a new length of cable to the end and then feed the new cable through the trunk using the old cable to pull it? And then untape the old cable and throw it away. Thus putting a whole new length of cable in. I would like to make it clear I am not suggesting to tape a new length of cable to the old length to extend it!

Anyway, then you would end up with a whole new length of cable with as much to play with as you like.

Risky - if that taped join comes apart then you're stuffed - no run of cable, and you can't go back - as we in the IT business say, "no fallback strategy".

when i need to do that i strip the cables and join them then tape them to make sure it will go through, never had one come apart at the join, snapped a few though (thats elsewhere in the cable when it really gets stuck)

Simple solution to the original problem - I'm amazed that nobody has spotted it.

If a pattress looks tidier than a flush socket, then by extension surface mounted trunking must look tidier than buried cables. I suggest that the wiring should be entirely replaced with stuff on the surface, and then matt1601 would not have to worry about the nasty buried cables being too short.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back