Double split hip homebuyer report

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

First time buyer here but I’ve been reading a few posts on the form sort of around this but couldn’t find anyone with quite as bad of an example as what has come back on our homebuyer report.

We love the property but we are paying potentially over the odds (crazy market) and are not sure if this should be a dealbreaker.

Our surveyor found both hip ridge rafters split with 40mm splits and he said he hasn’t seen a split that bad or two at once and hasn’t seen this kind of repair to such significant damage.

Other comments on here suggest sistering the rafters too which is what he said should have been done. Would this be a dealbreaker or can it just be re-repaired properly?

what could cause both to split, there has been an extension built and removed, no other sign of subsidence noted on report but should I worry structurally?

thanks for any advice, the surveyor said get structural engineer out, I’m about 1k in the hole on legal and survey costs already and don’t want to throw good money after bad but also love the location etc. it’s a hard find locally..

photos attached.

thanks again,

Db

7275B36E-D99B-48FF-9CBF-CF15FE4659FA.png
9DB0A5E2-AF71-4272-A84A-4F1CDA8C1CD6.png

Sponsored Links
Home buyer report is very basic, so you’ve been lucky that they even picked this up. Your options are:

- negotiate a reduction to allow for repair
- require the work to be done to correct it
- agree a holdback to cover the work.

Or keep searching. All buyers, first time or otherwise should have a minimum of 2 houses they are happy to go with to avoid the “we love the house” mentality.

you should also try to find the cause of it. There may be other structural indicators

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back