Downlighter -

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got standard UK 12V Halogen downlighters in the bathroom. One stopped working so I replaced the bulb but it still doesn't work. I tried 3 different bulbs, so unlikely to be a duff bulb. No signs of burning/scorching/melting on the wires/fitting/transformer or anywhere in the area so the only other thing I can think of it that the transformer has packed up. Before I go and fit another one, is that likely to be the case, or is there something I haven't thought of? The installation is about 8 or 9 years old I think so I'm guessing that things like that might start to give up about now?

Thanks for any thoughts
C

Sponsored Links
Transformers generally don't pack up. However I guess you have a switch mode power supply often incorrectly called an electronic transformer and these do pack up.

Sponsored Links
Mine says "Steeple S65TD LV transformer" on it. I'm not clever enough to know whether that's a transformer or a switch mode power supply....

Steeple is a Denmans own brand. They're not necessarily the best.

Something like this will do the job for you

Excellent, thanks very much. Funnily enough I was Googling earlier and that very one came up. And there's a Screwfix down the road, which helps!

Yes, most likely the TRANSFORMER has packed up.

However, the lampholders can get heat damaged too so check those whilst your at it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back