downlighters in a large shop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am wanting to install downlighters in a shop which measures approx 4.5m wide and 12.5 long.

Would 3 coloums of 12 lights be enough total being 36 for the size of room?

Also...

I relise you get a better light out of a low voltage lamp but on the comsumption side of things....

If a 240v 50w GU10 lamp uses 50watts of electric totaling (50wx36 = 1.8kwh)

What is the energy consumption from 12v 50w lamps using 60vA transformers per light and total consumption with all 36 lights running?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
what sort of shop is this? this will determine dow many lights/lumens you need. are halogen lights appropriate? Are you qualified / insured to do this work?

afaik, the energy consumption is the same with LV and mains halogens, though the transformer will consume a few watts itself while it is running

a watt is a watt, it is a measurement of power, not current.

but as has been said are you qualified and insured to carry out the work, working in commercial properties is not the same as DIY

I have had a lighting plan done by a lighting company called tamlite, they have recommended using 16 of 2x26w pl downlighters but my custormer wants halogen downlighters because the cost of buying them is well under half the cost of the suggested ones by tamtite.

It's going to be a photograph studio and it has been recommend using colour 835 lamps. my custermer is aware of this but still wants tiltable downlighters so this is why i'm asking this question.

walls are going to be a cream colour and it's havng a wood flooring

i understand a watt is a watt but energy wise are they cheeper to run per hour?
cheers

Sponsored Links
they have recommended using 16 of 2x26w pl downlighters but my custormer wants halogen downlighters because the cost of buying them is well under half the cost of the suggested ones by tamtite.

Have they factored in running costs (energy and lamp replacement)?

Generally the more you pay for a light the less the running costs

In a commercial environment power consumption is to be disregarded lightly (like the pun ?)

That's why joe public gets a 500W halogen light to light his back door all night instead of a 70W son or 80W MBFU, first costs £10 to buy, lamps last less than a year if on all night.
More expensive light lasts 5 years costs £80.00 to buy (maximim), and uses 7 times less electricity.

Expensive energy saving lights can pay for themselves within a year (sometimes 6 months) on energy savings alone. This should be pointed out to customer.

yeah using 500W halogens for constant light is stupid, i'd imaging a pir halogen could be cheaper than an always on high efficiancy lamp depending on the level of activity though.

They know all this but they also prefur the smaller downlighters and dont like the fact the holes would be 6"...

I have spent hours going through ideas with them but they only want downlighters.... so downlighters they get.

I have told them that halogen lamps only last 2000hrs as apost to PL lamps which should last 8000hrs.

They have asked me how much low voltage downlighters would cost to run this is why i have asked ths question.

Thanks

gcx51 said:
They have asked me how much low voltage downlighters would cost to run this is why i have asked ths question.

Slightly more than the mains GU10s would cost.

As has been pointed out the power consumption is measured in Watts. A 50W lamp is a 50W lamp regardless of what voltage it operates at. To reduce the supply voltage to 12V takes some additional energy because transformers are not 100% efficient.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back