Downlighters without a fuse box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. i'm a newbiee without sparky experience so here goes. My existing bathroom downlighters are now dimming and blowing bulbs faster than I can replace them. I thought I could replace the three bulbs/casing/transformer with a set of 3 downlighters I bought from B&Q " No Transformer reqd" got them home and it says they must be installed on a 30ma RCD.
I have an old fused box, the type you cut fuse wire to legth when fuses blow, can I install the new lights without burning my house down?

Cheers guys, look forward to your answers.

Sponsored Links
Get your electrics checked. Your lights might require an earth. In which case you must have an earth on the lights. Wiring that old may not be earthed.

An electrician may recommend a full rewire. Sorry. That fusebox is past its sell by date.

If the existing lighting circuit does have an earth, then the RCD issue is easily solved by using an RCD fused spur like this:
rcd_fused_spur_unit_med.jpg

If the lighting circuit does not have an earth, then some rewiring will be required.

Either way, this is notifiable work.

Get your electrics checked. Your lights might require an earth. In which case you must have an earth on the lights. Wiring that old may not be earthed.

An electrician may recommend a full rewire. Sorry. That fusebox is past its sell by date.

There are likely far more old wylex rewireable boards that have earthed lighting circuits than those that don't.

Sponsored Links
Hi all. i'm a newbiee without sparky experience so here goes. My existing bathroom downlighters are now dimming and blowing bulbs faster than I can replace them. I thought I could replace the three bulbs/casing/transformer with a set of 3 downlighters I bought from B&Q " No Transformer reqd" got them home and it says they must be installed on a 30ma RCD.
I have an old fused box, the type you cut fuse wire to legth when fuses blow, can I install the new lights without burning my house down?

Cheers guys, look forward to your answers.

Take the kit back to B&Q, and while you're there, buy some new 12V lampholders for your existing lights.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back