Downstairs bathroom under floor insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I am in the planning stages of having my downstairs bathroom redone and it is downstairs and it is a suspended wooden floor in the winter the floor does get cold. As i am going to have marble flooring this could get very cold in winter months.

The bathroom is pretty small and the floor space is roughly 5m2 so not to much of a headache to insulate.

the current flooring is horrible t&g laminate floor tiles which is cheap and the joints have blown up due to water getting in over the years. These floor tiles sit on the floor board which are nailed into the joists. The finish product will be marbled floor and all walls tiled, there will be no gaps in the floor or around the edges so no water will get down into the timbers below.

To keep the marble floor as warm as possible (without underfloor heating) my plan is to have Celotex layed between the joists so that the celotex is flush with the top of the joist. Then use foil tape to seal the edges.

My questions is, can i lay 10 - 15mm ply wood direct on top of the joists rather than putting the old floor boards back down first? Then have the marble on top of this?

This would mean that the floor height with the marble will be roughly the same as it is now and stay in level with the hallway the other side of the bathroom door. It would also mean that we wont have to be careful removing the old floor boards.

Another question is about the copper water pipes beneath the floor. I assume if not already done i should have these pipes wrapped in insulation to prevent them bursting due to frost in the future?

cheers,

Myk3

Sponsored Links
10-15mm ply is too thin in my mind and would cause movement resulting in cracking tiles/grout.

Pull everything up, insulate the pipes, insulate between the joists and then lay 22mm ply minimum.

Personally I'd pop a nice electric heating may under the tiles as well to make it warm underfoot.

thanks for this. Yes after i posted i did a little digging and found that 22mm+ is recommended thickness.

i assume that the ply should be staggered?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back