Downstairs lights buzzing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've moved into a new home and fitted some metal switches, weirdly on the downstairs set of lights when you run your finger along the face or touch your ear to the socket there is a small buzz.

However this doesn't happen on the upstairs sockets.

Having looked there is an earth to the lug and then and earth from that to the earth terminal of the switch, even with all those in the buzzing still occurs?

Sponsored Links
Are you talking about light switches or power sockets ( that plugs fit into)?
If light switches are they dimmer switches ?

Is this apparent on ALL downstairs switches ,how many ?
Can you show wiring at the switches terminals ?
What brand are they , "LAP "by any chance ?

Sponsored Links
Backbox is earthed then earth running from backbox earth to earth terminal on face plate.
Very likely the earth wire isn't connected at some other point in the circuit, and what can be felt at the switches is capacitive coupling to the other wires.

Are the upstairs switches the same brand / models ?
Have you checked the earthing ?

Upstairs exactly the same brand and wired in exactly the same way. By checking the earthing do you mean the connections or something else?

@flameport Do you mean in the walls? Or another switch on the circuit isn't earthed correctly?

Testing the earth conductors are actually all connected to earth .
You really need an electrician .

Or another switch on the circuit isn't earthed correctly?
Probably a loose or unconnected wire at a light fitting, junction box or similar.
Less likely is a damaged cable somewhere.

Either way, you can't leave it as it is - the fault needs to be located and fixed.

OK Spark it is, in terms of safety - obviously we've not been launched across the room turning the light on in fact it's only by pure coincidence we noticed it, I presume we are OK to use the lights until the spark comes i.e this evening?

OK Spark it is, in terms of safety - obviously we've not been launched across the room turning the light on in fact it's only by pure coincidence we noticed it, I presume we are OK to use the lights until the spark comes i.e this evening?

No guarantees, but probably yes - if you are very careful. The switches could actually be live. If you can, operate the switches only when essential and use something insulating between you and the switches. A plastic rod or similar will do, or a very dry piece of wood.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back