DPC Solvent Stain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an area of internal plaster into which silicone solvent based injected dpc has leached.....It is not a large area, but I don't particularly want to have to start chopping off and replastering (and anyway, it's in the brickwork behind the plaster, so no doubt it would leach into new plaster as well).

I know that emulsion just isn't going to cover it, neither is oil based undercoat. Even SBR will not 'seal' it in.
In fact Stain Block won't work either [Just for interest, I have found something better and cheaper than Stain Block for most stains....Glidden Trade Endurance Brilliant White Pliolite Based Masonry Paint].

Previous to finding Glidden, I used Aluminium Paint on a stubborn bitumen stain, after trying nearly everything else, but I doubt if it will work on this silicone stain.

Has anyone got an idea of what I can use to cover it, short of low level wall panelling or hanging a sack over it?

Thanks JA.

Sponsored Links
solven free epoxy can act as a tank coating

Thanks.....got a product name?

I had looked at some of them (eg for floors) but the manufacturers seem to suggest the surfaces must be free of grease and 'other agents', a category in which I would think silicone belongs??

I've found a sack in my shed, so if all else fails.....

JA

Sponsored Links
Hi. Possibly zinsser BIN will hold it back. I used it recently on an internal wall that had been coated with thompsons water seal one day previously :rolleyes: yeah I know but the BIN did dry off within15 mins, hung paper 2 hrs later.......Cheque cleared ok lol...

http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=10

Thanks for this....I have seen Zinnser products in the past and thought they seemed quite good....I'll give it a whirl.

Water based paint just runs off, oil based goes all stringy, doesn't key and doesn't dry out properly, but I have just tried another paint on it which sticks without any problem......Hammerite! (which is silicone based so nothing will stick to it for about three years)....

I have just invented a tall skirting which looks like a very low Victorian half panelling.

JA

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back