DPM under framed wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I am currently converting my garage to a games room. The external wall side, i will be putting in a timber frame then sliding in PIR insulation... However, as for the floor, it is a concrete slab. I will be laying the DPM then insulation....

I am confused to which step to take first.
1) lay the DPM and build the timber frame against the wall first? If I do it this way, I may have to bolt on timber on the floor to make the bottom frame, as such I would be piercing the DPM.

2) build the timber frame against the wall, add in the insulation. Then lay the DPM against the new wall? if so, is this after i put on the plasterboards and skim?

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Lay a course of bricks, lap your dpm over that then sit the bottom timber plate onto it.
The timber frame can be fixed to the ceiling joists, and of course, the wall itself.
You can also fix to the floor by resin fixing or rawlbolting some metal studding in the mortar joints of the wall, and drilling holes in the floor plate. (Studding first, then lay the bricks between it)

It's all very light weight, you'll get away with DPM on the floor, insulation over, floorboard over then stand the stud wall on the floor board, and fix the wall studs through the wall insulation into the garage walls

Sponsored Links
My answer was a bit rubbish. I probably shouldn't reply to things when knackered and not thinking straight.
I had automatically assumed a sectional concrete garage, much like mine, and how I would do it to ensure that water wouldn't creep under the panels as it does now.

You may well have a brick or block garage. Just follow Robin's advice and lap the damp proof up the wall a couple of courses, to meet the dpc if you've got one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back