Drain blockage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I have a reacuring sewer blockage, always happens in the same place. I've had a camera down and there seems to be no breaks in the line. I have (Hopefully) attached an image of what I belive is a problem.
The pipe hole at the top is the main drain, there is also a hole just infront of it. When water goes down the sewer on my property it has to fill up the 'gutter' part before it goes over the lip to the main drain, this causes my line to back up which in turn slows down and compacts 'solids'. This eventually blocks my sewer pipe. The top of the main sewer lip is above the top of my sewer pipe.
The hole in front of the main sewer hole feels like its a dead end but is full of stones (And the odd screwdriver!) some of which I pulled out and you can see in the gutter part. Does anyone know if this is some kind of debri catcher? Or maybe a proper connection to the sewer? If it was the later then all the water would flow correctly and not cause a blockage. I feel like cutting away the lip on the main sewer line to lower it and let water flow correctly.
Any advise would greatly be appreciated.

IMG_20230116_111044.jpg

Sponsored Links
Clean out 'the hole 'in front of main sewer pipe its usually a U type bend trap.
Where all the stones coming from ?.

This is how the pipes are arranged the top pipe is not intended to be used in normal service and should have a bung in it ( often lost during drain cleaning) You need to clear the lower u bend to avoid constant blockages .

Attachments

• DCA9E804-9DC7-40E9-B228-D41618A6AFD3.jpeg
    DCA9E804-9DC7-40E9-B228-D41618A6AFD3.jpeg
    41.7 KB · Views: 23
Laurieo : Thanks for the insite. The three houses that are connected have all had extensive renovation (Two are pre ww1 built). Over my time here I found all kinds of builders waste blocking it up, I persume thats where the hardcore comes from. I've put a camera through my part of the drain and didnt fine any breaks, but that doesnt mean there are breaks back up the line.

foxhole : Perfect, exactly the diagram I needed! Thanks very much. Now to work out if I have to clean it or I can get the council to do it, I'm sure they have some suckers that would do the job in a fraction of the time I could do it in. But looking at it I would guess its my responsibility, the main sewer would start at the end of that U bend.

Thanks again to you both.

Sponsored Links
is that part of the drain JUST you are do some of the other 3 houses join Before that part or is it after ?

Hi. I'm at the end of the chain. The other two house join my line at the back of the house. This is at the front. So when I go out to unclog, I get the privilage of seeing all their poo.

Agreed. Contact your local water company. I had a similar problem with a blocked shared sewer just before Christmas. My water co was very helpful and sent out a crew at 6pm on a freezing cold Sunday. Took them ~1 hour to clear the blockage.

yes, as said, and the reason i asked , if shared then its water company issue, used to be before 1934 ruling, i had a document for that in old house - BUT it was changed again - cant remember the year 2010 ish i thin, cant remember the details - as we had 2 manhole covers in garden - last one at bottom of garden was shared and i know that was then the water companies problem - who came along and sorted.
Also , some insurance policy offer a 24hr breakdown emergency type cover, and and friend had drains issue (but only his property on a NON_Shared section) and had dynorod, i think it was out in under 2hrs - all free , , they cleared it out in about 30mins - and did not impact the insurance as a claim , because its a service they offered....

I jumped on the phone to Southern Water shortly after getting the info in the first two posts above. He didnt seem to think that it was their responsibility, but since seeing the above link, from freddiestwin, I checked Southern Waters website and it does seem to suggest that the whole of the straight line going through my property is their responsibility, the only thing that is mine are the lengths of sewer pipe that go from my house into the through line. We are a semi, but the first house in the line is a detached house, although I have suspicions that connection was done on the dodgey. Regardless someone is coming to fix it regardless of responsibility. I'm sure I'll have a chat with the person and they will agree with the info on the SW website.
I did tell SW guy on the phone that is likely been like that for 20 odd years and that it was not an emergency.
All in all a great result. Will save me a lot of time sticking my hand down that u bend to clear it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back