Drainage backflow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been working in my sisters place, in Keswick - her apartment was recently flooded out.
Unfortunately, the water level was high enough to allow sewage to come up and over the loo bowl :eek: with a rather unpleasant result.
To prevent this happening again, is there such thing as a back flow preventer, or flap type valve that would fit into the 4" soil pipe that could prevent this? I'd appreciate any comments or knowledge!
Cheers and have a good evening, all
John :)

Sponsored Links
I seem to remember a flap type device been fitted in sump pump situations, however I dont think this will help in flood situations.
In floods if it doesnt come over the bowl its coming through the door or windows or up through the floors. Floods are not at all pleasant, sympathies to you sister and her neighbours

Sponsored Links
I seem to remember a flap type device been fitted in sump pump situations, however I dont think this will help in flood situations.
In floods if it doesnt come over the bowl its coming through the door or windows or up through the floors. Floods are not at all pleasant, sympathies to you sister and her neighbours

Thank you! Yep its not a pretty sight but people are much worse off in Cockermouth......at least in Keswick most places will be habitable before too long.
Cheers John :)

You're most welcome John. Ive been following the events on the news, my thoughts are also with those affected.

I would check with osma tech before using on soil pipe as it states only for surface and waste water not soil!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back