Drained system & refilled, downstairs rads are all cold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

When removing a radiator yesterday one of the pipe's was very corroded and cracked slightly causing water to start coming out. So I drained the whole system, put in a new section of pipe, then allowed the system to refill with the heating and water switched off. Now all of my rads downstairs are cold, upstairs were fine after a little bleeding, I've also bled all of downstairs but there wasn't any air in them at all. So they appear to be full of water but its all cold.

I've got a baxi back boiler, can anyone please help?

many thanks, Jack

Sponsored Links
anyone? I have looked at some other websites all of which diagnose a broken pump but all was working fine before I drained the system so I don't think it is this. Any help at all appreciated.

Thanks again, Jack

sounds like your downstairs rads are airlocked, maybe in the drop down pipework from upstairs.
shut all upstairs rads to push full flow downstairs.

Sponsored Links
I bet it's sludge, blocking the lower rads. or pipes to them.
See the faq - mains flushing.

A botchy way which often works is to get access by taking a small downstairs rad off. The older valves had 3/4 unions washing machine hoses would fit, as would the garden hose tap adaptor.

Connect a couple of washing machine hoses together (using a 3/4 "nipple") and maybe use garden hose(s). One in and one out is useful. Connect to garden or WM tap.
You might find the water goes up into the f/e tank and overflows it, so check that's in good order first, but usually it just comes back out from the other rad connection from the one you're going in at.
Close all rads bar one and work your way round.

If it doesn't help then you may need a full powerflush, which will cost you a few hundred £.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back