Draining Central Heating System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
I'm away from my property this winter. My insurance company has advised that I should drain the central heating system. Is this the same as power flushing?
Thanks in advance for any replies.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply Andy. I do know that there's quite a bit of sludge in the system. Does that matter? And approx how much does it cost to drain a system? 3 bed semi, 6 radiators, non-combi boiler.

Draining your system to be safe or having a power flush is completely different. You will also need to drain the cold water storage tanks in the loft and your cylinder.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Much better to just leave the heating turned on at a very low level IMHO - this will both prevent freezing, and prevent damp

Much better to just leave the heating turned on at a very low level IMHO - this will both prevent freezing, and prevent damp
Thanks. I would do this but earlier in the year one of my radiators developed a leak from a small hole due to sludge in the system. So I don't want to risk this whilst i am away.

Draining = emptying all the water out of the system so the pipes, tanks, cylinder etc are all empty (and can't freeze)/crack).

Flushing = pumping water round the system under pressure, and out, to flush out the sludge.

If you know it has a lot of sludge in it, and you are going to drain it, you might consider using a chemical cleaner (for a few days but preferably weeks if you use X400) to loosen the sludge before draining.

Two birds, one stone.

It will not be as effective as a powerflush, but the cost of the chemical is trifling, and so is the extra effort.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back