Draining CH system or only adding inhibitor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
have not drained/flushed out the CH for 26 years - is it enough to just add some inhibitor or is it worth doing a full drain job?

Sponsored Links
If you haven't had any problems with rads not warming up or system noise i would just drain at a warm temperature and add inhibitor.

tks Armo, but what is the diff between warm draining and complete draining? price diff quite high as it requires two people to do full drainage and also most of the day, checking radiators etc. As simple adding of inhibitor also costs a bit (2 hours+material) I thought I might go the whole way, rusting of pipes is my main concern as they are old pipes

Sponsored Links
It still mean's a full system drain, i just find that if the system is ran and left to cool for a while the temperature makes the build up of sludge deposits more active and looser(some may disagree). It may be worth your while adding some sentinel x400 and leaving it to run in the system for about 4 weeks and then drain and add inhibitor. Depending on what system you have you find that open vented systems are more prone to corrosion. Like i said in my previous post if you are not having any particular problems the x400, system drain and the adding of inhibitor should be sufficient.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back