Draining the system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need to do some minor work on our CH system.

I have drained the systme before so am quite confident in carrying this out, however, I want to try to minimise the quantity of residual air, post re-fill, requiring bleeding. The reason why I say this is that the last time we drain/re-filled it seemed quite a lot of air may have collected in the boiler causing banging during boiler heat up. (Banging now ceased)

Is there any way to re-fill with minimum residual air? This is a pumped system with 3 way valve. We have what appears to be a pressure relief valve on a pipe leading off the pumped circuit. This has a small plastic knurled knob and an allen keyed screw. Can I open this to help relieve the air during refill or even during the bleed whilst running process.

Would appreciate any advice.

Sponsored Links
Depends on the work that you want to do - close all the rad valves / partial drain down / freeze relevant pipework

why does it need draining down?....most jobs can be done with a couple of bung kits.

Work is moving some pipes for a bathroom radiator, but I also believe the system needs a flush.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
I read an article about re-filling the system from below rather than above.
i.e. Taking a hose from the cold water mains and connecting to the drain valve and re-filling it carefully under pressure.
I wonder if anyone has any comments on this procedure...........before I try it myself.

hotncold said:
I read an article about re-filling the system from below rather than above.
i.e. Taking a hose from the cold water mains and connecting to the drain valve and re-filling it carefully under pressure.
I wonder if anyone has any comments on this procedure...........before I try it myself.

you might have to if you got a blocked cold feed :)

Had to do exactly that yesterday because the pump didn't have any water in it to pump round. Worked quickly - but leaked a bit in the process of course.

Don't forget to bleed the pump, and start with the 3 way valve on the "Man" setting, which holds it open.

I've fitted a gate valve on the cold feed to my system (yes I know you shouldn't but I know it's there & what it's for), when I need to work on my system I close the gate valve & put a 22mm speedfit stop end on the open vent. Better than any bung kit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back