Draining water from oil tank, is that a common problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
My heating engineer of a few years has retired so I'm thinking of using the guy that my two nearest neighbours use.

Whilst chatting to one of them they told me that the engineer was due to come back anyway to drain water from their oil tank and also the other neighbours.

I've been on oil for 13 years and I don't ever remember any of my previous engineers ever even mentioning it during my annual service.

I don't want to sound cynical but is it really that common that both my neighbours need to have that done?

Is that something I can check or do you need special equipment?

Is that a simple procedure or does the oil have to be drained?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
When you use oil from the tank the empty space fills with air, (or when the lid is left off and it rains)
when the temperature changes so does the air, it condenses and turns to moisture which in turn goes to the bottom of the tank as water,
depending on how much water lays at the bottom of the tank in very cold weather it can freeze and block the oil supply pipe, (water heavier than oil)

Drain off of any water is normally done when the tank filter is changed.

Metal tanks often have an outlet 50 mm or so above the bottom so that sludge and water can stay below the outlet.

They also sometimes have a drain plug on the bottom specifically for water.

How much water you get may depend on how full you keep your tank, fuller the less condensation I would expect.

Buy some "Water detection paste".
Smear it onto a stick for about 6" and dip your tank until it touches bottom.
If it turns purple, you have water in the bottom. (The one I use turns purple. There may be other variant colours)

Sponsored Links
Buy some "Water detection paste".
Smear it onto a stick for about 6" and dip your tank until it touches bottom.
If it turns purple, you have water in the bottom. (The one I use turns purple. There may be other variant colours)

How much water if any is OK and doesn't need attention?

Thanks

In an ideal situation "NONE"......It's a fookin oil tank.
If it builds to e level where it is being drawn out with the fuel. It's goodbye Oil pump. + the filter and line risks being frozen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back