Drainpipe directly into the ground?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our bungalow was built around 1980. Having just examined all of the drain manholes I have discovered that the 3 drainpipes for the rainwater obviously go straight into the ground.
Is this normal?

Also the bathroom sink & shower waste are connected to one of these drains. Surely that's not right.

Sponsored Links
What do you meant into the ground, how do you know they don't go into a soak way?

I think he is implying that they probably do go into a soakaway and that the waste water is wrongly drained into them as well.

My questions is when were the appliances draining into them added? After the house was built I suspect!

Tony

I've no idea if they go into a soakaway, but that's why I was asking if it's normal. I just know that they don't run into our drains.

The waste pipes discharge into the plastic grate below the drainpipe & I suspect it was added sometime after the build.

Sponsored Links
I've no idea if they go into a soakaway, but that's why I was asking if it's normal. I just know that they don't run into our drains.
That’s correct & has been for many years; you will have probably at least 2 soak aways (one front, one back) for surface water which is quiet normal. It’s actually a breach of by-laws to drain surface water into the foul drain system.

The waste pipes discharge into the plastic grate below the drainpipe & I suspect it was added sometime after the build.
Some muppet has connected the new shower/sink into the wrong drainage system, obviously no B Regs involved there then :LOL: . You should change it ASAP or your soak away will choke with crud & be rendered useless after a period of time, if not already; hope there isn't a bog draining into it :LOL:

Thanks for your reply.

When you say its been correct for many years does that include as far back as 30 years?

No, there are no loos draining into the drainpipe drain. There is a soil pipe quite close to the incorrectly fitted waste pipe. Would it be ok to connect the waste pipe to the soil pipe?

When you say its been correct for many years does that include as far back as 30 years?
No idea really but, usually, only much older properties or properties built in a high water table area have surface water connected into the foul drain system; some areas do have a separate surface water drainage system. Even if your property currently drains surface water into the foul drain, you’re not allowed to make any new connections without permission to avoid overloading our now antiquated sewage systems. My current property was built in 1968 & that has soak aways.

There is a soil pipe quite close to the incorrectly fitted waste pipe. Would it be ok to connect the waste pipe to the soil pipe?
Yes, as long as the connection is done in accordance with Building Regs.

Here in Southern Water area, if you have all rainwater going into soakaways and no surface water from drive gullies etc. and not into the main sewer, you can claim an annual reduction on your water bill..................all £18 of it :eek:

Here in Southern Water area, if you have all rainwater going into soakaways and no surface water from drive gullies etc. and not into the main sewer, you can claim an annual reduction on your water bill..................all £18 of it :eek:
Yup, same in most areas ;)

Does anyone else know if that also applies to those who collect all their rainwater to harvest it to flush loos etc and further deprive water co.s of income?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back