Draught problem with metal vents on the wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

This vent is near the top of the exterior wall of the kitchen. It is the same on the other side of the wall, inside an old fashioned permanent larder and there is nothing in the cavity between two vent plates.

There is draught coming in from the outside so is it ok to block both side of vents or is there a better solution to reduce the draught?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that when I sealed up the inside vent with sealant and after several months, the mould has spread around it so I had to strip off one line of vent but with just one line, you can even see the light and feel the draught coming in from the outside vent!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Try http://www.bes.co.uk/products/176.asp the draughtbuster ventilators might help.
If the link goes just google bes plumbing and draughtbuster.

I'm assuming this is just for the larder and not supplying a gas boiler or other appliance.

Yes it is just for the larder in the kitchen, I think old larder was used to store the food but not anymore.

Our electric cooker already has its own extractor hood plus our window has a small vent on top so I guess it might not be needed, I could cover it up on both inside and outside instead.

I believe that the moulding around inside vent was probably caused by the cold air coming in from outside (I blocked inside but left outside vent open) so blocking outside vent should prevent that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back