Drawings or sketches for PP for a new garage constuction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to build a garage at my dad's house.
It will be butted up to the side boundary, and also to the rear boundary.
I want it to be tall (about 4m maximum at the ridge, 2.5m at the eaves).

His neighbour has, rather naughtily, built his garage wall right up to the boundary, and so his eaves and guttering are over my dad's land. He built this about 20 years ago. I have spoken to him, and he is agreeable to me building a taller wall immediately abutting his garage wall, and cutting back his overhanging eaves, thus creating a valley with my new eaves now overhanging part of his roof.
It seems quite certain that planning permission will be required. The above detail has been provided for background information, and my questions are:-

1. Planning Portal has a service providing low cost site plans and local area plans. Are these all that will be needed to successfully apply for PP?
2. If not, what other detail will be required, apart from the form filling?
3. I don't feel confident drawing up elevations and the like, so will contract that out to a professional. Would that render my meagre spend (about £25) on these low cost site/area plans a waste of money?
4. Would it save time if I submitted my low cost (but incomplete) plans initially, adding the professional plans in time for the Planning meeting?
5. Would a professional normally produce plans suitable for both PP and Building Regs Approval, essentially the same drawing with construction detail added for the BR application.

Any other banana skins to avoid?

MM

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
First check if what you propose will be permitted development, and if so you wont need formal planning approval

Otherwise, check your council's local validation criteria, which will detail what information including plans is required and in what format. Your application will not be accepted without the correct information in the prescribed format.

You can either use technical plans for building regulations, or use the building notice route (if applicable) which wont need plans, but you will need to trust whoever is doing the building to build correctly - the building inspector wont tell you haw to build.

A professional will normally prepare one set of plans for planning permission, and another for building regulations - albeit the exact same set of plans but with more detail

1. Planning Portal has a service providing low cost site plans and local area plans. Are these all that will be needed to successfully apply for PP? i'd leave that to your designer
2. If not, what other detail will be required, apart from the form filling? Elevations and plans, possibly showing relationship with nearby structures/houses
3. I don't feel confident drawing up elevations and the like, so will contract that out to a professional. Would that render my meagre spend (about £25) on these low cost site/area plans a waste of money? not necessarily, if they are correct and to scale they could be used for the site and location plans
4. Would it save time if I submitted my low cost (but incomplete) plans initially, adding the professional plans in time for the Planning meeting? no, youd need a complete set of plans, elevations, indicating heights, materials etc
5. Would a professional normally produce plans suitable for both PP and Building Regs Approval, essentially the same drawing with construction detail added for the BR application. correct, although you may want to get planning permission drawings done and the building regs ticked off as a notice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back