Drayton Wiser smart trv's causing exit pipes on radiators to make noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, recently replaced all of our normal trvs to smart trvs, except one radiator to allow it to always flow if the others shut off.

I am experiencing an issue on all radiators when one of the TRVs hits temp and closes the valve, there is a tapping noise on the exit pipe of that specific radiator. I have confirmed it's the exit pipe by feeling for the vibration of the tapping. This only happens on the radiator that turns off, but the problem is spread across all radiators, except the non smart trv rad in the bathroom.

This noise starts as tapping, kind of like 3 tap bursts, and the tapping gradually gets quieter and quicker over a course of 3 minutes or so and then eventually stops.

I normally let it run its course but if its happening to the one in the living room or my toddlers room, I will manually increase/decrease the temp on the app to that radiator to force the valve to open or close, just to shut the noise up. This is becoming tedious and I am starting to regret going the smart route.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? I initially thought the smart valve is not closing the valve fully but the tapping is on the exit pipe. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Just to note, I have bled all radiators. No air in the system. I have also recalibrated the TRVs.

Have you spoken to Wiser support? They are usually very helpful and can run some diagnostics remotely.

The Wiser TRVs can be in a partly open condition, they tend to fully open when the rad is cold and there is heat demand. They then gradually close in stages as the room warms up. Usually you hear a motor noise as the valve opens, lasting perhaps one or two seconds, then very short motor chirps, several minutes apart, as the valve closes in small increments as the room warms up.

Are your TRVs on the flow or return end of the radiator (the flow pipe is the one that gets hot first)?

Sponsored Links
Have you spoken to Wiser support? They are usually very helpful and can run some diagnostics remotely.

The Wiser TRVs can be in a partly open condition, they tend to fully open when the rad is cold and there is heat demand. They then gradually close in stages as the room warms up. Usually you hear a motor noise as the valve opens, lasting perhaps one or two seconds, then very short motor chirps, several minutes apart, as the valve closes in small increments as the room warms up.

Are your TRVs on the flow or return end of the radiator (the flow pipe is the one that gets hot first)?
Thanks for the response. I have only just thought about reaching out and forums is my usual go to first, I tend to get better results. I will contact them though. I am also fairly confident it's not the kit, more so the kit highlighting an issue with my central heating.

All trvs are on the flow, not the return. There was also never an issue when the traditional trvs were on there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back