Drill my own fixing holes in a cistern???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm fitting a new toilet with a low level cistern. There are no fixing holes in the rear of the cistern for fixing to the wall - the entire thing depends on the bolts holding the cistern to the pan.

To me this seems risky - the cistern could be pulled forward with relative ease causing a leak or even a fracture of the cistern.

Can I drill my own fixing holes with a tile drill? Wife suggested No More Nails, but that would make disassembly a nightmare.

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't, you'd crack it when drilling or when fixing.

I'd use a bead of silicon around the edge, it will hold it firm and you can cut it with a knife if you need to remove the cistern for any reason.

Its certainly possible to drill through glazed ceramic, providing no hammer action is used on the drill.....
Why not stick the cistern to the wall with a bead of silicone? Its only for location after all - not load bearing.
The silicone can be sliced through at sometime in the future if required.
If the walls and floor aren't perpendicular to eachother, fixing the cistern with screws can sometimes give the doughnut washer (between the cistern and pan) a hard time.
John :)

Don't risk drilling unless you feel lucky; don’t use grab adhesive either, as already stated use Silicone.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, silicone it is. Should have thought of that myself :oops:

They don't need fixing.

But if you insist adjustable mirror brackets

To me this seems risky - the cistern could be pulled forward with relative ease causing a leak or even a fracture of the cistern.

If you can pull it easily then you have failed to secure it correctly.

If you can pull it easily then you have failed to secure it correctly.

I hadn't even tried at the time of my first post. As it happens, the pan/cistern connecting bolts do hold it securely, although I'm surprised because they're in line left-to-right. Silicon wodged on the back too - job done.

Cheers for all advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back