Drilling clay pots

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm building a water feature using a large clay pot as the centre piece (I must have been wicked as I get no rest !!).
I need to drill a c15mm hole in the base through which I'll put a cistern overflow connection. This needs to be water tight (+ sealant) so need a nice clean "cut" in the pot. Would a flat wood bit or a hole saw be the best option? The pot cost nearly a ton (ouch !) so I don't, as they say, want to bugger it up !!
TIA

Sponsored Links
I would start with a small masonary drill bit,then up to 15mm with no hammer action.Remember let the drill bit do the cutting and not force it in and also I would buy brand new masonary drill bit for this job.Take great care & take your time!

cheers masona,
Just so happens I've got a 16mm masonry bit from wiring a house. I'll sharpen it up (got diamond files)

As an addendum....
It worked a treat !!! Cleaned this feature out on day of party but ran out of time to totally re-fill it.
My mate after a few fire waters, said this empty vase (!!!) will sound like a bell if I tap it with an 'ammer. Guess the rest :cry: :cry: :cry:

Sponsored Links
still youve got nice expensive crocks for your other pots then :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back