Drilling into plasterboard and plugs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got those two types - the metal screw type and the one which tightens onto back of plasterboard as u screw it in. When drilling and u aren't sure if it's plasterboard do u drill 7mm as u would for normal brown plug then see it's plasterboard so put in the plasterboard plugs?

Drill tentatively; work out what it is then proceed?

Sponsored Links
Tap it first, hollow sound would indicate plasterboard, or push in a fine bladed screwdriver, will penetrate plasterboard easily.If it's a new build highly likely to be plasterboard.

Tap it first, hollow sound would indicate plasterboard, or push in a fine bladed screwdriver, will penetrate plasterboard easily.If it's a new build highly likely to be plasterboard.

How u fit those 2 plasterboard plugs?

So, have you done a test drill yet to see what the walls made of. Although the metal screw types are supposed to just turn into the plasterboard, I tend to do a pilot hole of about 5mm first. But I don't like them, as when you tighten the screw in, it can end up turning the metal screw further, and breaking the plasterboard. On the second type you have, are they gray with a couple of prongs on the end that push out. If it is, use a 6mm drill first, and then got to a 7mm if it's too tight.

Sponsored Links
I got those two types - the metal screw type and the one which tightens onto back of plasterboard as u screw it in. When drilling and u aren't sure if it's plasterboard do u drill 7mm as u would for normal brown plug then see it's plasterboard so put in the plasterboard plugs?

Drill tentatively; work out what it is then proceed?
What exactly are you putting up? If it's a light item then the plugs you are talking about are overkill. Plus as another poster said they can make a mess of the plasterboard. I know as have used these in past. So if you are going to use these ones get them from somewhere where people have reviewed the different types and go with what's reccomended. I have used the following Ones and would reccomend both of these:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/fischer-plasterboard-plug-ldf-4-x-100-pack/81956

http://www.screwfix.com/p/fischer-plasterboard-plugs-hdf-4-x-100-pack/58219

Read what other users have said in the Q&A and reviews re the drill bit and screw size to use as that will be very useful. Also make sure they can support what it is you are putting up.

So, have you done a test drill yet to see what the walls made of. Although the metal screw types are supposed to just turn into the plasterboard, I tend to do a pilot hole of about 5mm first. But I don't like them, as when you tighten the screw in, it can end up turning the metal screw further, and breaking the plasterboard. On the second type you have, are they gray with a couple of prongs on the end that push out. If it is, use a 6mm drill first, and then got to a 7mm if it's too tight.

You use a 5mm drill bit to drill in and check what you're drilling in to? I guess there's plasterboard, brickwork, blockwork, old crumbly plaster so many things and there are different types of plugs for the different materials.

I put up all sorts. Sometimes heavy shelves, so was thinking of using the hardcore plasterboard plugs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back