Drilling Through Insulated Cavity Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

We have cavity wall insulation and I am thinking of installing a cooker hood that vents outside. Is there anything I need to be aware of before drilling the vent hole from inside to outside?

I don't want to end up with a kitchen full of small polystyrene balls as the insulation comes flooding out at me... or is that not likely to happen?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
cmc_sithlord said:
Hi there,
I don't want to end up with a kitchen full of small polystyrene balls as the insulation comes flooding out at me... or is that not likely to happen?

Thanks

that's tough luck i'm afraid. wear a dust mask. it is likely to happen if it's the blown in fibres, not so bad if it's the expanding foam.

cheers; may have to rethink the venting idea, not 100% it's worth the hassle! will see how the fan copes on recirc (we don't have one at all at the moment so should be an improvement no matter what!)

sith

Foam - no problem

Blown Fibre - Almost certain not to be a problem. We had a window taken our and a French Door installed - insulation stayed where it was.

Slabs installed at build -- no problem.

Polystyrene balls - No experience but would expect them to fill your kitchen unless you can stabilise them before removing the hole. Never tried this but if you bore the hole with a core drill it will stop the beads dropping out, then as the core drill is removed push a liner in from the other side (e.g. length of 4" drain) keeping ends together, it will do the same - seal in plastic tube and fit extractor!

Sponsored Links
Recirculating you might as well not have one at all :LOL: Get that kippery smelling steam OUT ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back