Drilling Tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the best way to drill through tiles with out cracking them ?

Sponsored Links
Use a very small masonary drill to start with for a pilot hole (a good investment is to buy a new drill bit) then drill again with the correct size masonary drill bit. Do not use hammer action until you hit the brickwork (I don't brother with the hammer action, just carry on drilling) Some find masking tape on the wall help to prevent slipping. I find it easier to hold the electric drill very steady and rigid then lightly drill the hole.

Try masking tape on the tile to stop the drill bit slipping, also when you put the plug in the wall ensure it is beyond the tile, else it is liable to split the tile as you tighten the screw.

Sponsored Links
A tile drill works well in ceramic tiles, if they are porcelain you will need something like the Armeg bits as the heat will melt the brazing on a tile or masonary bit.

I use a centre punch to lightly mark the position of the hole, this also just brakes the glaze and makes for easy drilling.

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back