dripping fridge freezer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I keep finding ice at the bottom (inside freezer)of our nine month old fridge freezer. It an Electrolux. When I rang them they said its because of the ambient room temperature!! They said they couldn't do anything about it. The temperature of the room is around 12 to 19oC at the mo, and it leaks at night and in the day. We have actually caught it dripping when the temperature in the kitchen was at 18oC . Are they telling the truth or fobbing me off??! Any ideas how to cure it?
Oh, its frost-free with a cooling system.

Sponsored Links
believe it or not what they are saying is true a fridge temperature is dependant on its surrounding air temperature. This is because its "heat disipation method" can only remove so much heat, and if the ambient air temperature is too high it can not dssipate heat quick enough so it doesnt cool / freeze.

However (you will like this bit) i presume the fridge freezer has always been where it is? as its 9 mths old that means it was working ok in the summer (it was hotter then) so although what they said is true (and i elaborated on it) it has to be really hot for a fridge not to work.

there are a few things you can check though

you MUST make sure the fridge is in clear air space, that is NOTHING blocking its air way, i.e. something fallen down the back that you once put on the top of it. also you should NOT "box it in" as also this restricts air flow.

Also you must make sure the door shuts every time properly (test it by shutting a piece of paper in the door and if you can easily pull it out, the seal is not sealing properly, you must do this all the way round)

sometimes a tub of icecream for example is too far forward and "just" stops the door from shutting

If you are SURE all its air flow is not blocked in any way, and the door does shut / seal it it may need re gassing ( a refigerator engineer job)

But i would have thought that being less than 1 year old they will come and look at it for you, but you will have to read the small print to find out

Thanks for the reply. The people at electrolux will come out but say they will charge if they find it to be due to the temperature. I have had dealings with them already and know that they will do and say anything not to have to do the work or to charge me! In its short life span it has already been regassed, due to noisiness and it has had a new door due to poor a seal! This took a lot of arguing to get!! Im thinking of getting it insured with somebody and get them out to look at it as the electrolux engineers were gits!!
Im keeping a diary of temperatures and dripping to dazzle them with!!
In the mean time i will check behind it. Its just wierd it started with no explanation, eg not at the start of a cold snap, not been moved etc. Looks like a battle with electrolux is afoot. Why is nothing ever simple??!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back