driveway drain, and gutter drain next to each other

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Basically I'm hoping someone can say, yes this will or won't be a problem, I'll try and keep a long story short:

I have a driveway drain which Dynorod cleared for me, after 3 attempts the blockage was sorted, the guy seemed to think the driveway drain was linked to a soakway and felt like there were tree roots which he eventually got through (bit of tree roots were also pulled out during the clearup)

On the following photo is before showing drain hidden underwater during the heavy rain this morning
nx2wyw.jpg

Now I have a nice free flowing drain again, however I also have a drain right next to the driveway drain which handles only surface water from the house guttering. My idea is as it's so close to my driveway drain, is to connect a small pipe between both drains, so the driveway drain has a type of overflow similar to that in a toilet, should the soakway have trouble backing up again.

If the other drain handles only rain from the gutter and goes out to the main drains, what's the harm in me connecting the driveway drain so it too feeds out if overflowing to the main drains? I'm guessing there is an issue, otherwise there wouldn't be two seperate drains (driveway with a soakway, and guttering to the main drains) - or was this a stupid build idea from day one?

Here are some photos to also add to the explanation:

296esed.jpg

68xajc.jpg

Thanks for reading![/img]

Sponsored Links
if tree roots can get into your drain, it must be cracked or broken. It will cause your drive to sink. Dig it up and mend it.

that's not an option right now, £££££ maybe in a few years if that but having a newborn priorities are elsewhere.

- nice clear pics - As the drains are plastic I`ll bet the builders took out the rubber sealing rings - because each pipe joint then has to be chamfered then lubed and pushed hard together . No rings = faster laying and not tested on rainwater drains- only foul ones - so you got some roots growing through the joint :idea: . Deny all knowlege of the overflow pipe if the water police come knocking If the drain cover was missing it`s rubber seal and the screws were loose ,the water might run under the cover from the drive ;)

Sponsored Links
removing the gutter drain cap was actually a temporary method used, when the dynorod guy was using his pressure hose acting as overflow. So yeah could maybe leave it a little loose ;) - but that would still mean a small puddle, I'd rather have it all nice n dry.

To be fair the dynorod guy seems to have done a good job, I have myself a 4metre long drain cleaner attachment for my own pressure washer. When I first tried it, the water simply backed up causing a pool of water in no-time, but now with all 4 meters in, not a bit of water comes back out and I left it blasting away for a good 10mins, then slowly backing out as the jets push any silt out cleaning the pipe (ended up scooping and bagging up the silt). At the moment now it's near enough clear water now coming back out. So this overflow pipe idea is basically peace of mind, as I can't see it blocking again anytime soon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back