Driveway Paving Advise with regard to Convservation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All,

I am planning to get my driveway paved. i live in a conservation area.

as per the conservation laws a permeable sub-base is what is recommended.

the issue with this is, with the car parked almost at the same spot every day, over the years i think eventually there will be some subsidence.

would it be an acceptable alternative to build a soak-way and channel the raina water into that and to put concrete instead of the sub-base?

that i believe will be a lot stronger and long-lasting..

appreciate your advise.

thx

Sponsored Links
If your driveway is being extended or completely re-done it will fall under 'new development' which means it will be liable to the SUDS Legislation.

This requires you to deal with run off by either;

Have a permeable pavement which is nearly always finished in special suds compliant block paving,

Or Using filter drains interceptors and soakaways of some sort to capture the water and then disperse it back into the ground locally.

SUDS applies across england and i think scotland and wales too. It applies to everyone not just conservation areas. In fact it is probably not possible for them to insist on permeable paving if you deal with the run-off by use of interception and channeling to a soakaway.

DO not fear though even if you must use a permeable paving as plenty of large commercial areas such as bus terminals etc are done in it and they take a fair bit more traffic than your driveway. A properly installed sub-base will not sink.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back