Driveway Questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

My builder is handling the construction of my driveway, please see attached pictures. From the research that I have done, It has become clear that the first thing to do is the edge restraint across the edges, then the sub-base goes ontop up to 150mm thick.

My builder wants to first of all get the subbase in, compact it and then install the edge restraints which will be done using single blocks of paving laid sideways to create the edge, this will then sit on the concrete bedding.

Please confirm if it can be done this way, his argument is that one doesn't want to be compacting using a wacker near the edge restraint

Thanks in advance.

drive_1.jpg

drive_2.jpg

This is what I want

untitled.png

Sponsored Links
yes it can be done that way with no problem just scrape back some of the type 1 where its bieng bedded
take a look here http://www.pavingexpert.com/blocks.htm
but dont query everything he does as most people have there own ways with same good results

and it is adviserble to add a textile below type 1 to stop it mixing with sub grade over time

Sponsored Links
Looking at the drives round our area it seemed everyone had their own way, half of which had sunk or migrated. In the end we used paving expert web site to educate us how to do it, and that worked. Have a look there and see what you think.

We even had one guy stopped his van in the middle of the road and jumped out and tried to offer us to do it. It quickly became apparent he though an air brick was the damp proof course and was surprised I wasn t as enthusiastic as him about level entry into our house (which has suspended timber floor)

So by all means check thereth doing it right, ideally get the design agreed up front.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back