Drop in pressure in downstairs hot tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've recently experienced a drop in pressure in my downstairs hot water tap. It happened after I filled a bath and emptied the tank.

I've got electrical heating so no gas boilers etc.

The upstairs taps on ther bath sink, shower etc use a pump due to the pressure being too low. Previously it was a trickle upstairs.

The pressure is fine for about 2 seconds when the tap is turned on.

Any ideas what is causing this and can I rectify it?

Many thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Must be an air lock. Can you back fill hot feed via sink mixer or washing machine plumbing?

Backfilling:

If you have a downstairs MIXER tap. Open your hot on full and put your thumb over the spout... then slowly turn the cold on (still with your thumb over the spout) and let the cold mains push down the hot.

You might get a little wet.. hope you got strong thumbs.

Take care.

Sponsored Links
or it may be a lack of water getting into the tank - make sure the call valve is dropping and refilling the tank at a good rate.

Hi Yerino/twgas

I don't have a mixer tap. I have bought a mixer tap to fit this weekend but wished to get the pressure query sorted first (in case it had an adverse effect on the new tap). Should I fit the new tap and follow your recommendation?

re tank refill. The refill seems to be the same rate as before.

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back