Dry lining - filling gaps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Can’t afford a plasterer, else I would save myself the stress!

Looking at dry lining a room. I’ve got the plasterboard on already. Plan is to paper tape and easifill the joints.

However, where the ceiling is wonky (packed as much as we could) there are a few gaps here and there that are the full depth of the board, so 12.5mm. Most say only prefill up to 5mm. What would you use for the gaps? Assume easifill would take an age to dry out (thus the 5mm limit) so I guess that isn’t an option.

Thanks all

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Have you used standard edge boards or taper edged?

I'm not a plasterer, but this is what I've done before.

You can use scrim tape (orange one is good) over the joint and use joint filler to fill the gap.
You can then feather-in easifill to bring to the depth you want, you don't have to fill it in one go.

You might need something like a Jointing Knife.

Any rough bits (if there are any ;)) can be sanded afterwards.

Mirka hand sander is useful, as it can be wired up to a hoover.

Check Youtube for technique(s).

Good luck(y)

Have you used standard edge boards or taper edged?

I'm not a plasterer, but this is what I've done before.

You can use scrim tape (orange one is good) over the joint and use joint filler to fill the gap.
You can then feather-in easifill to bring to the depth you want, you don't have to fill it in one go.

You might need something like a Jointing Knife.

Any rough bits (if there are any ;)) can be sanded afterwards.

Mirka hand sander is useful, as it can be wired up to a hoover.

Check Youtube for technique(s).

Good luck(y)
Thanks!

I used tapered edge. Did some research before but all the results on the gaps keep coming back to when people are skimming it.

What joint filler did you use?

Is this gaps between the boards or vertical difference? If it's vertical difference you need to build up the shallower board(s) to the height of the lowest board. Good odds it's going to look a bit rubbish though- might be better biting the bullet and getting someone in

Sponsored Links
Is this gaps between the boards or vertical difference? If it's vertical difference you need to build up the shallower board(s) to the height of the lowest board. Good odds it's going to look a bit rubbish though- might be better biting the bullet and getting someone in
No it’s just at the top on the horizontal where the ceiling isn’t quite flush. So it’ll be hidden by the tape over the top but want to make sure it’s a good base.

Think I used Gyproc Joint filler... wickes

Make friends with the sander, you'll probably need to use it.

Can you get at the gaps from above? If yes tape over the gap or bridge it with scrap bits of plasterboard then fill from below with whatever

Can you get at the gaps from above? If yes tape over the gap or bridge it with scrap bits of plasterboard then fill from below with whatever
Unfortunately not. It’s just a gap where the plasterboard isn’t. So solid material after the depth of the plasterboard. It’s just where the walls aren’t perfectly square (garage conversion so despite packing it out we couldn’t make it perfect).

Would you use easifill for all of it or would you use joint cement for some bits? Seeing so many mixed instructions whilst googling. I’m wondering if it’s just a ploy to get you to buy more products. Would easifill work for all of the coats?

Personally I've used easyfill with fibreglass scrim tape, and the boards still look good years later
So you only use the easifill and nothing else? I’m hoping that’s the right answer as it’s what I’m planning to do! Except I’ll use paper tape.

Yep, I used to mess about with using 2, but ran out of 1, and just used easifil and never looked back. Not used paper tape before, but I'm sure it will be fine!

Yep, I used to mess about with using 2, but ran out of 1, and just used easifil and never looked back. Not used paper tape before, but I'm sure it will be fine!
Yeah can’t imagine it makes much difference as it’s just the adhesion part which most instructions say to use easifill for anyway. Thanks for the info!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back