Dry rot unlevel flooring now what next

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

Helping a friend check the condition of his house, he noticed that part of the kitchen flooring appears to be weak when stepped upon, I then asked him if I can remove the vinyl flooring to help check what is lurking beneath.

suprise suprise, it looks like the floorboard has rotted away.

upload_2022-3-31_14-22-4.png

upload_2022-3-31_14-34-10.png

Below is the representative floorplan

upload_2022-3-31_14-26-16.png

• Someone thought it was a good idea to concrete the area shaded in yellow. The level appears quite high and butting against the wall, less than 200mm in my opinion from the floor level internally.
  • The area with the red line is where we have the rot issues.
  • The joists away from the red line appear to be in a better condition, the more you move away from the red line and towards the party wall.
  • The pink line has screed on the floor, I have not lifted off the floor in the WC area to see what is underneath, suspended flooring or screed.
  • Another observation is airflow, not sure if it would have caused this much damage though.
  • The area with the blue line previously had damp treatment applied 6 years ago (Newton meshed membrane).

Here is what the floor looks outside, the red area is where we have the rot issues on the other side of the wall.

upload_2022-3-31_14-32-43.png

Second Issue

The floorboards here are not level, and the staircase isn't level either. Its bent to the right.

upload_2022-3-31_14-35-20.png

upload_2022-3-31_14-41-14.png

upload_2022-3-31_15-1-22.png

Does anyone know what the circled stuff is for ?

I have some questions.

From the above pictures/details.

• What is the likely root cause of the floorboards not level, the issue appears to be worse in the hallway and kitchen area.
  • I have not checked the lounge and dinning to see what the level situation is.
  • Is there any value is concreting the entire floor, the previous owners appear to have done this towards the rear of the property. ?
  • The next door property have this thing outside the house, see the last picture , I don't know what the purpose is, however someone said to me that it could be for houses suffering from movement issues.

Sponsored Links
1. the backyard is too high for a suspended floor. Do you know where any DPC line is?
2. do you have any air bricks on the kitchen wall or the yard bedroom wall?
3. You need multi air bricks ventilating thro the house from the back, and out at the front elevation air bricks (after the front elevation is worked on as suggested by me in your last thread).
4. the kitchen wall render has failed.
5. is there an air brick under the yard door threshold?
6. yard party wall abutting the bedroom wall could be causing damp conditions? so could the plinth.

7. all the kitchen skirting and floor boards could do with lifting. Do it gradually.
8. the plaster needs hacking off on the window wall to well above any damp signs.
9. some joists might need renewing.
10. remove the sink unit - there's a basin in the bathroom.
11. there's a gas pipe on the window wall. a gas test is an immediate need.
12. how thick is the "screed" in the kitchen?

13. floor boards will need taking up here and there in Every room/space to expose condition of joists at bearing ends, and any affects due to lack of through ventilation.
14. sloping floor(s) are probably due to rotting joist tails - the floor is slowly collapsing.
15. leave the plaster lath wall alone - maybe prop it later when floors are levelled?
16. the flight of stairs is unsafe - with all associated floor work done then it probably could be jacked & fixed into its proper place?
17. two chimney breasts might present their own possible problems?

The discs in next doors wall are Pattress Plate/Wall Ties - google them.

Please see my inline reply.

1. the backyard is too high for a suspended floor. Do you know where any DPC line is?
Next time i go there, I will take my laser level to work out the DPC level, but i cant see it probably because of the painted wall, cant remember if its painted only or rendered and painted.

2. do you have any air bricks on the kitchen wall or the yard bedroom wall?
I could not see any.
3. You need multi air bricks ventilating thro the house from the back, and out at the front elevation air bricks (after the front elevation is worked on as suggested by me in your last thread).
The one at the front is suspect, not sure if its any good especially after the fillet thing they bunged on it.
4. the kitchen wall render has failed.
You mean internally right, yes I can see this with the mould discoluration.
5. is there an air brick under the yard door threshold?
Not that I can see, again next time I visit I will remove the headstone by the door to see if there is some airbrick there, but I suspect there isnt as the gap is less than 4 inches.

6. yard party wall abutting the bedroom wall could be causing damp conditions? so could the plinth.
Where are you talking about here ?

7. all the kitchen skirting and floor boards could do with lifting. Do it gradually.
proposing concrete floor here.
8. the plaster needs hacking off on the window wall to well above any damp signs.
sure.
9. some joists might need renewing.
Agreed
10. remove the sink unit - there's a basin in the bathroom.
I don't want to remove it now as the pipe on the wall is the sole water supply, a plumber is required to temporarily connect the water so the WC facilities at least work. removing the sink could cause flood if not well isolated.
11. there's a gas pipe on the window wall. a gas test is an immediate need.
its the water mains not gas.
12. how thick is the "screed" in the kitchen?
How can I tell ?
13. floor boards will need taking up here and there in Every room/space to expose condition of joists at bearing ends, and any affects due to lack of through ventilation.
Downstairs only right ?
14. sloping floor(s) are probably due to rotting joist tails - the floor is slowly collapsing.
15. leave the plaster lath wall alone - maybe prop it later when floors are levelled?
16. the flight of stairs is unsafe - with all associated floor work done then it probably could be jacked & fixed into its proper place?
How can this be repaired ?
17. two chimney breasts might present their own possible problems?
What sort of problems ?
The discs in next doors wall are Pattress Plate/Wall Ties - google them.
I did, they look decorative from what I see on google.

1. you dont need a laser - use a screwdriver to dig out a little bed mortar, starting low and going higher. You will see any DPC.
3. everything at the red fillet and plinth should be removed back to brick - only then install air bricks in the front.
4. i mean the exterior. the interior plaster is #8.
6. backyard dividing wall where it meets the house wall.
7. who is proposing concrete - i'm not. I dont know what you want.
Perhaps, for the time being, remove but keep, all the kitchen suspended flooring boards and joists, and walk on the sub soil.
10. when the water is connected to the WC and basin have the plumber remove the sink unit.
And check that the internal & external mains stop-taps work - and lift the nearest manhole cover, all while the plumber is still there.
11. there's two pipes on the wall - maybe both are water?
Anyway, when the gas goes live then it should be pressure tested & checked. you'll get a cert.
12. remove the nearest board to the conc, & expose the edge of the concrete - then measure it.
13. downstairs only.
14,15 & 16. first you find out exactly whats going on by doing whats suggested.
17. why not first deal with what you've got?
The pattress discs - they are structural, they tie in the rear and front elevations. read up on them.

Sponsored Links
Inappropriate Content

removed

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back