Dry Sized CLS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was looking on my local builders web site tonight as I need to get some timber for stud walls. I was looking for 100 x 50mm CLS anyhow found it no probs but the description puzzled me a bit (as follows)

CLS Ex 100 x 50mm Stud Timber
CLS is the ideal timber for constructing stud walls, it is dry sized to 89 x 38mm finished size and has the edges eased.

I dont get the "dry sized" to 89 x 38mm, whats that suppose to mean?

Ta

Sponsored Links
They start with a 100x50 bit of wood, and plane/shape/smooth it down to 89mmx38mm, so that ALL cls is uniform in size. Dry sized probably has something to do with it being dried to a particular moisture content, so that one length doesn't shrink/warp compared to the one next to it.

I know the obvious thing would be to start with a larger section and plane that down to 100x50, but '2x4' is a worldwide standard so they start as near to that as they can and work down.
The dims are also relevant to the thickness of door frames/linings etc in a standard build house.

timber that is generically called 4'' x 2'' is commonly planed and finished down to 89 x 38, you can get genuine 100 x 50 for wall plates etc but it is less common.

Sponsored Links
Thanks fellas, its a bit of a bugger actually, I have had an archetect do some drawings for a garage conversion Im doing and hes specified 100 x 50 for the studs, insuated with 65mm Celotex inbetween studs, leaving a 35mm cavity, looks like the cavity will be 24mm, do you think the building inspector will give a toss?

Then don't buy CLS, order regular '4x2', which will still be a tad under but by less than 5mm.

Ahaaa, thats the kind of straight forward answer i wanted. So regular 4x2 = 4x2 but CLS 4x2 = nothing like 4x2, genious!

Thanks for puting me straight again, its a big help.

That's pretty much it. Confuses people all the time.

Forget the c.l.s (Canadian lumber standard) and ask for 4" x 2" as stated.

The stuff we are using at present is finished the same as cls, i.e with eased edges and smooth sides but finished sizes are 44mm x 97mm. It is also dried to 18/20 moisture content.

Not bad stuff at all.

It is a while since i got a splinter from rough sawn. ;)

timber if quoted in inches is the stock sawn size the finnished worked size will be between 1/8[3mm] and1/2" [12mm ]smaller
by worked we mean planed or moulded
smaller the size the smaller the amount removed for planed timber

Thanks for all the advise,

To conclude, when I buy the studs Im taking a tape measure with me! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back