dual immersion heaters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
will a dedicated 16amp circuit, 2.5 cable , allow for two 3kw immersion heaters running at same time? have that now but when both on they trip the breaker after a few minutes of being on. all ok if just one on.
checked calculations and come up with 12amps for both.
Cheers
Jack'o

Sponsored Links
Cheers sparky, Feck i only calculated for one at 12 amps what cable will i require? 4mm? the 2.5 wont carry the load,at least 5 mtrs from board

leave the existing 2.5mm² feeding one of the heaters, and install a second cable for the other heater.

Sponsored Links
It is a requirement for immersion heaters for vessels in excess of 30litres to have separate circuits and for them not be fed from a ring final.

Per RF above, you need to run a second feed. :cry:

leave the existing 2.5mm² feeding one of the heaters, and install a second cable for the other heater.
Obviously the 16A MCB won't be sufficient if both cables come off one fuseway. I recently asked a very similar question (//diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=130292) and the consensus was that two dedicated radials would be best but that a ring with 32A MCB would be acceptable (although some will argue that each immersion heater needs to be on its own fuse) and ideally each should be fed by a 13A FCU.

Usually a 16A MCB in the Consumer Unit and a 20A Double Pole Isolator Sw by the immersion.
No point having a 13A fuse with a 16A MCB - there's no discrimination between the two.

MKK5208.JPG

Use one of these and your be fine with just the 2.5mm TE, accepting that both immersions do NOT need to be used at the same time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back