Duct pipe from Extractor fan to outside vent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, have ceiling extractor fans in kitchen and bathroom ( Xpelair's), fitted with flexi type pipe in loft to outside vents. Drips of water/condensation come back down through fans , have had fan in previous house that kept "packing up" after same problem. Would fitting a longer duct pipe and including a "U" bend above in loft make any difference in order to stop moisture returning back down through fan. Thanks you to anyone who can confrim whether this would make any difference.

Sponsored Links
Ceiling mounted units normally have the fan mounted inline [between ceiling vent and external vent to avoid this.] Are your units designed for ceiling mounting in which case they will be protected from condensation.If they are wall fans placed in the ceiling then they are potentially dangerous.

I beleive they are proper ceiling fans as were put in when house built . its possible that the ones i used to replace one in previous house were wall fans, never thought of that....so you think that if they are proper ceiling ones, the few drips coming down through would not effect the electrics inside as they would be designed to cope with drips ? someone i asked today about "u" in duct pipe sais water would just build up in "u" and eventually over spill back into pipe anyway, any further comment welcome, thanks you already.

Sponsored Links
very helpful comment, would putting loft insulation fibre be the sort of insulation i could use as i have a spare roll left over already in loft. Thank you for furthur comments.

Fit a condensation trap above the fan
conden.JPG

It stops any moisture that condenses on the duct walls from dripping back into or through the fan.

this may sound daft question, but..do you measure the duct flexi-piping diameter or the fan itself to get correct size..this sounds the best solution, many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back