Dulux super grip and Satinwood together?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I am currently painting outside windows.
They were previously varnished, I have sanded them right back, now all that is left is the odd tiny bit of varnish indentations.
I wanted to prime with super grip primer, then undercoat with weathershield, then finish off with weathershield satin.
The guy at Dulux dec centre said I should not use super grip primer with exterior satin as they are both water based and this can cause cracking.
Is this true? Sounds very unlikely to me.
He suggested finishing the super grip with butinox no2 which as far as I am aware needs to be primed with Butinox no1.
Any help would be great.

Sponsored Links
I am currently painting outside windows.
They were previously varnished, I have sanded them right back, now all that is left is the odd tiny bit of varnish indentations.

I wanted to prime with super grip primer, then undercoat with weathershield, then finish off with weathershield satin.

If your down to the bare wood supergrip migt not be the best solution...acrylic primer might be better

The guy at Dulux dec centre said I should not use super grip primer with exterior satin as they are both water based and this can cause cracking.
Is this true? Sounds very unlikely to me.

He could be right..supergrip is intended for non porous surfaces that its diffiuclt for paint to stick to..the coating might be too brittle

He suggested finishing the super grip with butinox no2 which as far as I am aware needs to be primed with Butinox no1.

Now im confused..he doesnt suggest using a totally water based system as it could crack..but is avocating a water/oil based system instead..which might also crack..

I would have another look at your windows, thenring dulux and ask if supergrip is suitable for wood on an exterior..my guess is that its not because of flexibility issues..but I might be wrong.

I would rather stick to one system from one manufacturer personally..if you start mixing them up you might run into incompatability issues with the paints.[/b]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back