Dummy siren box and actual siren box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just ordered an alarm system and waiting for delivery. Most of the alarm systems seem to come with a dummy siren box and a siren box. Just wondering if someone can shed some light as to what the difference between these are? I am assuming the dummy siren box is the actual box that you put outside? and the siren box is the one that makes the noise? But then where do u install the actual siren box that makes the noise?

Sponsored Links
Often, the real siren box is put on the front of the house, where it will attract attention and people will see it flashing. This is especially useful where there are several houses or flats close together and it might not be obvious where the noise is coming from

The dummy often goes on the back or side of the house where a potential intruder is likely to see it and will hopefully be discouraged. Some studies say that the deterrent effect of a siren box on your house has more effect on cutting crime that the quality of your alarm. If your house is unusually attractive, for example isolated, or your family is seen at a family wedding draped in gold jewellery, or you are a known collector of small portable valuables, or you are often working away, you should be willing to pay more for better alarm and monitoring.

Take great care to avoid false alarms with your new system. Neighbours will quickly become irritated and learn to ignore it. You might be able to shorten the time the siren sounds, for a week or so while you get used to it.

Everyone notices the bell box that's going off and has a look, admittedly those that go off repeated still get a look at, and that bloody alarm again. I am sure if there was other signs of a break-in the police would be called, but they may not respond.

As for LED's on bell box, I have mixed view, think all modern ones shouldn't have LED's at all, some bells indicate there status through the LED's if you don't have them they don't indicate anything, but when it sounds do they know about it.

Many wireless bells have optional LED's turn them off to make the battery last longer.

But having a dummy on the back/side just warns people off that the house has an alarm without having more than 1 bell (sounder).

Last edited:
As for LED's on bell box, I have mixed view, think all modern ones shouldn't have LED's at all, some bells indicate there status through the LED's if you don't have them they don't indicate anything, but when it sounds do they know about it.
what do you think about the backlit boxes then? I've just bought and fitted 2 x Odyssey X's on my house, the house backs onto a golf course one side and fields on the other. The back sounder can bee see over half a mile away now, hopefully keep the scrotes at bay.

Sponsored Links
I love the odyssey X, built in level, back lit and I can carry 30 printouts in an envelope rather than 40 screen printed lids, storage space at a premium.

Be better with a light sensor activation.

Might attract some night life?

the leds work and can be seen in daylight, as the Texecom LED's can indicate the status/ mode of the bell box checking the leds are flashing correctly is paramount.

I love the odyssey X, built in level, back lit and I can carry 30 printouts in an envelope rather than 40 screen printed lids, storage space at a premium.

Be better with a light sensor activation.

Might attract some night life?

you mean bugs and spiders or lowlife?

Can I ask though, mine seem to have a little bit of a yellow tint rather than be bright white (as shown on the website), I wasn't sure if I was supposed to remove the white diffuser that sort of loose inside? are yours the same?

sent you a picture, not sure it be classed as advertising publishing in main forum.

the picture doesn't do it justice to be honest, but next time I may opt for a darker name and web address

Is there a recommended place to position the siren box? I've noticed in a lot of photos that the siren box seems to be positioned at the centre of the front of the house. Just wondering is this a recommended practice? and if so why? Just think it looks a bit strange in the middle compared to putting it on the side.

You put high up so it cant be fiddled with easily.

The position on a house is more to do with personal preference/ Space and where cables may be running.

What are the official inserts from Texecom? Are they just printed pieces of paper?

I had presumed they were screen-printed pieces of plastic. I was tempted to get a couple of X's for home though wouldn't be buying the sort of quantity that would warrant them printing them for me.

they are printed via a printer on plastic sheet I believe, unlike screen printing a colour at a time.

The ody X its self you buy singularly if you want just the inserts are in sets of 30, however think they are trade only.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back