DVD Recorders with hard-drive

as I said in a post to Wood You Like, we bought an LG that failed in 2 days, we bought a top of the range sony and that failed too. Both very complicated to work (well they were to me!) Bought a philips in the end and gave up with the idea of a hard disk. Very easy to use (must be if i can say that!)

Sponsored Links
I splashed out on a Lite-On today from Novatech. Seems OK so far.

Has a hard disk plus DVD writer (multiple formats). I was going to open the case and see if it had an IDE, but the cover screw has a "warranty void if removed" sticker, so I will wait until the guarantee expires. Two years...

Spark123 said:
With the panasonic if you are burning to a DVD-R it takes as long as the program, if you burn to a DVD-RAM it is a lot faster.

That's not the case, Spark. With regards to recording to DVD-R, -RW or +R then if a title is to be copied from the hard disc in High Speed mode you must set [Record for High Speed dubbing] in the SETUP menu. That is before you record to the hard drive in the first place.

It makes sense to use R's for one-off recordings 'cos you do not really need the versatility of the DVD-RAM discs. It's wise to be a bit prudent about what manufacturer's disc you use, though. AVforums reflects far more failures of dvd drives (the laser tends to fry on dodgy media) than it does hard drives. ;)

I'll stand corrected, I'll have a play about over the christmas holidays. I must admit when I first got the recorder I found the instruction book as clear as mud. I have only ever brought the panasonic own brand DVD-ROM disks and branded DVD-R disks such as Sony or Verbatin.

Sponsored Links
I agree that the instruction manual is pretty hard work but there is a lot of stuff to describe given that there is a freeview receiver (digital and analogue), a DVD that uses a variety of disc types and of course the hard disc drive. That little lot is going to present probs for any technical writer.

I have only heard good things about the Sony and Verbatin so you should be fine. ;)

Mine is the recorder prior to the ones with digital reciever, the DVD drawer is in the middle of the machine, we can't get digital through the aerial around here anyhow lol. Just one more, do you know if there is there a time search function? I find it annoying that if there are no chapters it is a pain just using fast forwards.

Spark123 said:
Mine is the recorder prior to the ones with digital reciever, the DVD drawer is in the middle of the machine, we can't get digital through the aerial around here anyhow lol. Just one more, do you know if there is there a time search function? I find it annoying that if there are no chapters it is a pain just using fast forwards.

Hi, Spark. The machine that I am referring to is the DMR-EH60DEB. This model is now discontinued - replaced by models with dual layer technology, I think - but the DVD tray is on the left. On this model there is a feature called timeslip and the button for it is at the bottom leftmost on the remote control. You operate the up and down arrows on the central wheel to increase/decrease the time you want (holding these buttons down increments the time in 10 minute chunks). Press enter to confirm the selected time. What I find irritating is when you use the timeslip facility the freeview channel currently being received is shown in a small square on the TV screen. Can't for the life of me understand why they had to design in this feature. Anyway you have to hit the Play button to eliminate it.

I do not fully understand the use of Chapters and have never tried to create them when burning discs. Hope this helps. ;)

chainsaw_masochist said:
Spark123 said:
Mine is the recorder

I do not fully understand the use of Chapters and have never tried to create them when burning discs. Hope this helps. ;)

Chapters, just lets you jump faster, quicker than fast forward.

I'm getting the hang of mine now :) The big HDD is terrific; SP recording of many hours at excellent quality, and no need to insert disks or tapes :) I would strongly recommend saving up for an HDD machine rather than just buying a DVD recorder. It cost me £187 at Novatech. My old VCR is now redundant.

However, when I bought it, I also bought a stack of cheap DVD-R disks, brand "Datawrite" Red and copied a few recordings off the HDD onto one of them.

When I played them back on my existing Tosh 240E player, the picture seemed a bit fuzzy, and I had several occurences where it seemed to skip a few seconds during playback, and I missed a few lines of dialogue. I later copied from HDD to +RW and that one played back cleanly with a sharp picture. Even the cheap disks seem to play OK in the new DVD Recorder.

Is this likely to be because I used a cheap brand of disk, or because my player doesn't like -R disks?

Diyisfun said:
chainsaw_masochist said:

Chapters, just lets you jump faster, quicker than fast forward.

Get that bit but not really sure why there is a need to jump around a DVD. I tend to watch a film in its entirety. If you need to visit the bog or stuff some chocolate hobnobs just hit the pause or stop button. The machine remembers where the play was stopped.

If you had a disc of individual clips I could well see the benefit. Will read up on this in anycase.

John: Glad you are pleased with your Liteon. Bit worried that "cheap stack of discs" though. From AVforims (again):

CARBON
Trader Rating: (0) Panasonic Hrm-e50 Problem With New Ram Discs Activating Disc Protection Lock

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Could the manufacture of the discs be less than accurate and thus outside the paremeter that the machine will read? I have never had a problem with dvd-r discs except datarite red ones. A big load of beer mats out of the 50 I bought.
I would like to try another make of dvd-ram discs other than panasonic to see how they perform. Any reccomedations on make welcome.
Thanks,
Dave.

I've had a few failures with datawrite discs in the past and won't use them now. I get my discs from http://svp.co.uk/?gclid=CNv23NiAl4kCFTVYQgodlCkmUw , they're cheap and they deliver quickly.
Sorry to say John, but I've also had trouble with Toshiba dvd players. I got a 240 free with my tv a few years back - I got them to change it for a 340 cause it was terrible. The 340 lies unused in the bedroom - it tends to freeze with any brand of copied disc. I try to stick to Pioneer stuff usually.

I was thinking of getting a DVD recorder then found a pretty good deal on a Yamada DV9000H DVD HDD recorder from PantherOnline - it's last year's model but got quite a good write up in some of the AV mags . Biggest bonuses for a budget model are that it's very quiet - heard some that have fans that sound like jets taking off- and has some basic editing facilities. Only a 80GB hard drive but that's something like 68hrs on EP setting which is still better quality that VHS - good enough for my setup anyway.
Yamada support are quite helpful too as they will supply a list of approved media so you can buy what is known to work ok with the machine.

Been using it for a couple of weeks - seems to do the job - remote buttons are a bit small and sensitive for my fat fingers but that's a common problem with a lot of remotes. Copying from HD to DVD takes no time at all. It's great being able to record 12 or 15 hours of stuff if away and watch it when we get back without having to leave stuff out so it'll fit on a video! ;)

Sponsored Links
Back